Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Initial Impressions: PSYCHO - PASS / サイコパス

October 23, 2012
Posted by DarrenW & MedusaS

YES!

I've been waiting since the start of the season to review this!

So today MedusaS and I will be introducing a new Autumn 2012 anime to you guys, PSYCHO - PASS / サイコパス.


HUGE DISCLAIMER



[Information Provided by DarrenW]

I will keep this short, but interesting.

PSYCHO - PASS is set in the near future, where a city is run through psychology, yes, criminal enforcement through examining the mental state of the entire population. PSYCHO - PASS is a system whereby measures such a mental state.

Tsunemori 
And the story begins when we meet our main protagonist, Inspector Tsunemori Akane, who has just enetered the crime scene I mean her first day on the job at the "Public Safety Department"

Akane enters the Public Safety Department with exceeding qualifications as shown by Sibyl System (Another monitoring system)

And immediately, a big case arrives, and it becomes clear as to how enforcement is carried out. Enforcers, along with inspectors, comprise of people who have been identified as "latent criminals", where their "crime coefficient" (due to PSYCHO - PASS) is too incredibly high to remain in social order.

Then they roll out their tools for the job. "DOMINATORS", as they are called, is technologically infused gun, which has the ability to select individuals to target and to decide what degree of punishment should be carried out. (Computer + Gun BIG GUN)


Main Characters
Akane then meets her colleagues, who are a collection of possibly the most awesome individuals, all people with incredibly high criminal coefficients since young.

However, on the first case, Akane becomes mortified of what she sees. Justice has become unjust, with the system taking over man's judgement and dishing out the punishment itself.

There are flaws within the system. Does mankind truly need a system which measures the propensity of people to commit crimes? What will happen? Find out by watching this intense Sci-Fi thriller!

DarrenW

Immediately, once I started watching PSYCHO - PASS, I can tell you that I was immediately captivated by the action. The build up of suspense is very nicely done.

The design of many parts of the anime, CGI and technological tools used, really impressed me (normally I don't really take notice). I want that personal room-service bot!!!

The setting and plot is simple and easy to infer almost immediately, delivered with ease as I would put it, so a lot of watchers won't feel lost and all. It has the potential (and I'm most certain) it will have a very elaborate and complex plot structure in the future. Something is about to happen! Initial impressions are very good. Serious and intense plot, good action scenes, good character developments.

The writer for PSYCHO - PASS (Gen Urobuchi) is the same writer for Fate/Zero.
Designs carried out by Nitro+ and produced through Productions I.G.?
Main character is voiced by Kana Hanazawa?
Ending Insert Song is sung by EGOIST?

Why are you still sitting there? This anime is a MUST - WATCH. Watch this NAO!!! (Editor: I hope this is not a typo)

MedusaS


Immediately I could tell this was no "ordinary" anime. Uh... not immediately actually, I had to see a few PVs first before I decided to add this to my watching list.

So I found PSYCHO - PASS AWESOME! I like Sci-Fi Thrillers very much. (Though from looking at my reviews its very hard to show that). PSYCHO - PASS embodied the human condition, psychology, culture, and many philosophical views, of which it is still a THRILLER.

It looked very realistic, so I appreciated it even more. Just hope out future ISN'T like this. I can't really say anything more because I don't know what to write?

All the characters look like they want to murder somebody (no wonder crime coefficient is so high), but they are all actually very nice people. Tomomi Masaoka deserves my respect.

I liked the OP and ED A LOT. EGOIST is one of my all time favorite artists (bought the album recently). Opening song was very creative and had a lot of interesting sounds to it.

Still though, I didn't understand why the PV I watched was so misleading.

Expecting awesome stuff I.G.! I don't want to be disappointed!




PSYCHO - PASS is an Autumn 2012 anime, which is produced by Production I.G. It aired on October 11 on Fuji TV's noitaminA block, and is also airs at the same time on Animax Singapore. It will have 22 episodes. It is fansubbed by Commie, and is also available on FUNimation as Simulcast.

Have fun!
DarrenW & MedusaS
Edited by FayeA

No comments:

Post a Comment