Saturday, September 15, 2012

Beat Of The Week: 手紙 ~拝啓 十五の君へ~ (Tegami ~Haikei juugo no kimi e~)

Hello folks, it's me again! Today I'm here with Beat Of The Week! Okay, my song doesn't really have a "beat" as in drum beat...well, that was rather punny, no?

I find myself quite a weirdo when it comes to music. True, there are a few singers/bands that I'm kinda nuts over, but other than them, my music choices are really random. I go for the song, you see, and not really the singer/band/lyrics/etc, which also explains why I listen to songs in many different languages.

Today's pick by me is a rather...relaxed song as compared to other songs shared so far. But, as many would agree, the quality of a song is definitely not determined by it's speed and/or pace. This song, by Angela Aki, roughly translates to "a letter to the 15 year old you". (credits for translation to Google Translate and my inferring skills used to arrive at a grammatically correct title after Google Translate was done with it)

After listening to this song a few times, I (finally) went to check out the lyrics and I realized how deep the lyrics were. A letter from your older self to your younger self, asking about life, complaining about life's tribulations, and yet reassuring yourself. Personally, the lyrics got me reflecting...

In all honesty, despite the beautiful melody, I must admit that the song does get a tad (musically, not lyrically) boring after a while because the melody repeats itself quite a few times. Nonetheless, a quick online search with my decent google-fu showed me that this song was rather popular in Japan when it was released, exceeding sales numbers of 200,000, and placing as high as 3rd on the Oricon charts. It's also increasingly being used as a graduation song in Japan, not unlike Graduation by Vitamin C.

So give this song a listen, read up on the lyrics (if you need translation), and hopefully, what you're doing now isn't something you'll regret when you're older. (gosh, that escalated quite quickly from an initially light hearted post)




aaronsine

No comments:

Post a Comment