Monday, February 27, 2012

Short Anime Film: Kakurenbo

February 27, 2012
Posted by IAmBored

Hihi! IAmBored here! :D Sorry, I forgot to put a hint for this review:P

I'm back with another anime movie. (short 20+ minute type) This time its a movie with a slightly creepy mood and has deep insight to Tokyo. (where the story is based)

So anyways, let us start! "Kakurenbo" (Hide-and-Seek)


Ok. So the story starts in an abandoned old town. Someone has invented a game in this remote place. A game of Otokoyo. The rules are simple, there will be a time when the lights of the abandoned town gets brighter. The town will then become a maze. All you have to do is to follow the lights of "O", "to", "ko" and "yo" and you will arrive at the Otokoyo Square. When 7 children arrive, the game will start. All the children must wear a fox mask throughout the game. But it is said that the children who play this game mysteriously disappear. There is also a rumour going around that demons appear in the abandoned town and take the children. This game is hence, very dangerous!


Now, the protagonist, Hikora, comes in with his best friend,Yaimao. Hikora's sister, Sorincha, played the game before and never returned. Thus, to find his sister, Hikora decided to play the game to see if there are clues leading to where his sister had disappeared to. Yaimao also decided to play the game to help Hikora find Sorincha and the other missing children.

Tachiji, Noshiga and Suku.
At the Otokoyo Square, there are 8 children. Among them, there is a small gang of 3 people. The fattest one, Noshiga, is the leader and he wants to play the game to prove that he is not afraid of demons. His two sidekicks, Tachiji and Suku, follow him. There are also 2 mysterious twin boys, Inmu and Yanku, that joined the game, though their intentions are unknown and they did not speak a single word throughout the movie. Then there is this girl who looks like Sorincha, yet another mysterious character.


There are also 5 monsters/demons in the story that began chasing the children when the game started. I don't want spoilers so I won't say much, and since it's only a 25 minute film, watch it if you guys have nothing to watch. (Or if you were waiting for new episodes to come out, like me) I highly recommend this film on a rainy day.

I really love this film because its very well done. The suspense of the entire story and the amount of mysteriousness is awesome. Plus, the fact that the movie isn't scary at all (in my opinion) is also a bonus! The development of the story is great and I can totally understand it by watching it once. Though the last scene was a little confusing, but in the end I got the gist of it.

I remember watching this the first time with my class. I guess it was because of the noise and everything (it was during post-exam period) that I found it enjoyable. Then I watched it twice more. (the other two times were for fun).

The film premiered on March 2005. One weird thing is that I find the trailer scarier than the actual movie itself. Maybe it's just me...

So the scores:




See ya!!!!

Hint for next review: Cute, round cat themed anime :D (NEW ANIME)

IAmBored
Edited by FayeA

No comments:

Post a Comment